I’ve recently acquired two Raspberry Pi boards along with power supplies and a nice case. I was attracted by the price and the processing power/RAM vs power consumption. The first thing I was interested to install was the Raspberry Pwn release. I wouldn’t call it a distro as such, it’s more of a script that just downloads tools that most pen testers would download themselves at some point. The Raspberry Pwn site advises that it is not compatible with ‘Raspbian’ which is the newer release shown on the Raspberry Pi site, although I couldn’t see a reason why. I downloaded the installer and ran it manually line by line some time ago, and I remember it running correctly and without issue. There were a few changes to the aptitude installs to address missing packages and I also gave up trying to download the exploitdb through SVN at the end of the script as it seems to be permanently down. I also downloaded aircrack, dnsmasq, compat-wireless, mdk3-v6, nmap, mitmproxy, reaver, and sqlmap.

[nggallery id=3]

One of the biggest limitations is that the device has fuses on the USB ports that kick in at about 140mA. Technically, this is in line with the standard, although it’s come to be expected that the USB ports are able to output significantly more current. This makes it difficult to attach anything of use other than a keyboard or mouse to the Raspberry Pi without a powered USB hub. I’m pretty sure that keyboards and mice were all that the Raspberry Pi’s USB ports were really intended for, but this won’t suit our purposes. Seeing as I intended to run an Alfa AWUS036H on one of the ports and maybe a GPS device on the other, we’ll need more power than that. I soldered a wire between the +ve input pin and the +ve output pins on both USB ports. This bypasses the 2 140mA USB fuses and the 1 700mA input fuse. This has safety implications and will void your warranty!

[nggallery id=4]

You’ll notice that I have two batteries any way – that’s because I’m using the Tecknet iEP390 11000mAh and they have a maximum current output of 1A which unfortunately causes a drain on the board when the Alfa card is in use and triggers a kernel panic. I could get batteries that support more than 1A maximum current although the Tecknet batteries were extremely good value for money and are excellent products, so I’m not that bothered for now. Besides, having 2x 11000mAh capacity batteries means that the device can run fully active for about 20 hours or more without a charge.